Sites of Interest


The Cannon-Maston House

In 1696, James Cannon received a patent for land at this location from the Proprietary government of Maryland. Known as Ickford, the tract became the property of his son Thomas Cannon in 1712. It is believed that he erected the first section of the present brick dwelling in 1727, and expanded the structure in 1733. The property remained in the Cannon family until 1851, when it was sold to Halsey H. Maston. In its construction details and plan, the Cannon-Maston House reflects the architectural traditions of early plantation owners in the Chesapeake Bay region. It is one of the oldest surviving buildings in Sussex County. The Cannon-Maston House was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1975.